By Julia Conrad
Butte-Glenn Medical Society Intern
Did you know…
About the Women’s Auxiliary? The Auxiliary was formed in 1937 about 10 years before Butte-Glenn Medical Society became a formal 501(c)(6) non-profit with its current name. Over the years, the Auxiliary became known as the Butte-Glenn Medical Society Alliance and became a 501(c)(3).
The Women’s Auxiliary began in the home of Mrs. J. H. White with 13 other wives of Butte-Glenn Medical Society’s physicians. By 1956, there were 73 women in the auxiliary. This group did incredible things alongside the physicians in Butte-Glenn Medical Society. The auxiliary primarily arranged fundraiser events and managed projects to give back to the community. They worked with the American Medical Education Foundation, sponsored projects for nurse’s scholarships and recruited future nurses. Fashion shows, holiday parties and charity ball fundraisers were all events used to raise money to help fulfill nursing scholarships for the next generation of healthcare providers. In their annual “Decorator’s Dream House” event, an empty home in the Chico area was chosen to have each room interior designed by separate decorators and toured by visitors for an entrance fee. The event raised thousands of dollars each year to give back to health-related community projects and health career scholarships. These incredible auxiliary members empowered young women and encouraged more female presence in the medical field.
Butte-Glenn Medical Society wants to continue to encourage young people to enter into the medical profession and obtain leadership roles. Through the upcoming scholarship program, BGMS will be offering two scholarships to individuals with the commitment and drive to become a physician. The society recognizes the compassion and motivation that pre-med students encompass and wants to support these individuals. And, as we found in the Auxiliary files, we have a long legacy of inspiring the next generation of healthcare leaders.
Recently, while talking to the recruiting team at Enloe Medical Center, we heard how the Alliance played an important role in recruiting physicians and their families to the community. Alliance members would take a day or so to bring families to see schools and other highlights of the area, which showed how collaborative and integrated our community is.
The Alliance dissolved just this past year, and as a result the Butte-Glenn Medical Society office was given loads of boxes filled with artifacts and newspaper clippings regarding the history. It’s amazing to see the journey of the auxiliary and how far the group progressed throughout the years with its accomplishments.
Since organized medicine meetings first began in 1857, Butte-Glenn Medical Society has held valuable conversations between physicians and community members and contributed to the healthcare field on many different levels. Looking back, we can see how important the Butte-Glenn Medical Society has been for the community and how the Woman’s Auxiliary strengthened its efforts, while also being its own powerhouse. The society’s rich history is a reminder of why this coalition still stands today and continues to promote and improve health care to those in our community.Julia Conrad
California State University, Chico
Public Health Major
Butte-Glenn Medical Society Intern, Fall 2019